These are drying in my airing cupboard, I make them every year to use myself or gift to friends and family at Christmas.
What we used
Large paper bag
You can roll them in cinnamon or mixed spice before drying. You can also add crushed orris root to prolong the life of your pomander although curing them in the airing cupboard gives them a good lifespan anyway.
What we did
- This step is optional. We carved simple patterns into the oranges using a gouge.
- Then push the cloves into the orange in any pattern you prefer, we used an awl to make a hole first so as not to damage the cloves when we pushed them in. A skewer or knitting needle would work just as well.
- Wrap in newspaper and place in a paper bag.
- Store somewhere warm and dry until dried out, I leave mine in the airing cupboard for a few weeks.
- We left them for about six to eight weeks