Having succumbed to a buy one get one free offer I found myself with more hot cross buns then we could eat before they started to go dry. We toasted a couple but the rest I decided to use in a bread pudding.
What we used
6 hot cross bun
Milk approx 3/4 pint
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cooking apple (optional)
What we did
- Oil a small oven proof dish
- Tear the hot cross buns into six pieces and place in the dish
- Chop up the cooking apple into small pieces and mix in amongst the buns
- In a separate bowl whisk the two eggs with the milk, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the oven proof dish using a spoon to lightly press the buns down to make sure they absorb the milk. Leave for 10-15mins to make sure soaked through.
- Cook on 160.c for approx 40mins – 1hr depending on the size of your dish. The pudding should be firm and lightly browned.
- Serve warm or cold with either cream, custard or my favourite, vanilla ice cream.