This is a really basic ‘how to’ for a Lagerphone, which can easily be added to to make a more elaborate version.
You will need
- Place a bottle cap about 5cm from the bottom of the broom handle.
- Hammer a nail through the centre of the bottle cap into the broom handle. Do not hammer flush, the bottle caps should be able to move.
- Repeat along the length of and around the broom handle until at least the bottom third is covered in bottle caps.
- You may want to add a piece of rubber or a rubber foot from a walking stick/cane to protect the bottom of the lagerphone.
- To play you can either tap with your hand or a short stick where there are no bottle caps, alternate hitting the stick with banging the lagerphone against the floor.
This is a very simple version and you may wish to make yours more elaborate. Here are some ideas we have seen while researching lager phones.
- Hammer multiple bottle caps in stacks. Two to four bottle caps to one nail.
- Add crossbars or wooden shapes to the broom handle and add more bottle caps.
- Use an old wooden crutch or walking stick instead of a broom handle.
- Instead of a rubber foot attach an old boot to the base of the lagerphone!